Important! Not all products from AliExpress comply with Google Merchant requirements. Sometimes, AliExpress Suppliers provide their Products with attributes, descriptions, images e.t.c. which go against Google standards. You can check Google rules for Products attributes here.
Google Merchant Center is a platform where you can upload your product data to Google and make it available for Shopping ads and other Google services. Being one of the greatest marketing solutions, Google Shopping campaigns attract potential buyers to your website and boost your conversions.
With the Google Merchant add-on, you can generate your product feed and upload your web store to Google.
1. Account Creation
First of all, you should have an account in Google Merchant Center.
If you have Google Merchant account, skip this step.
1. Go to Google Merchant Center and click Get started.
2. Click at Get started here.
3. Enter your Business information and click Continue.
4. Accept Terms and Conditions and click Continue.
5. Choose Shopping Ads and click Continue.
6. Review your summary and click at Create account.
2. Site Verification
Also you will need to verify and claim your website in Google Merchant Center.
Verify your website URL by uploading the HTML file generated by Google to your website.
Click 'Fix it':
Enter your site URL.
Select 'I have access to my server'.
Select 'Upload a HTML file to my website'.
Click 'Upload HTML file to my website'.
Follow the first step and download the HTML file.
To upload the file, go to your cPanel > File Manager.
Click Upload at the top of the page and upload the HTML file.
Return to your Google Merchant account and click 'Verify URL'.
Do not delete the HTML file you have uploaded to your cPanel to stay verified. After your website URL has been verified and claimed, finish the setup by clicking the Finish button. You will be redirected to your GM Center.
Important! To prevent your Google Merchant account suspension you need to check that there are at least two of the following types of contact information on your site: physical business address, phone number or e-mail.
3. Google Merchant Plugin Installation
Find Plugins on the dashboard and click Add New.
Upload zip-file with your plugin and install it.
When the plugin installed successfully, activate it.
You can see the Google Merchant Plugin on the left of your dashboard. Don't forget to activate its license key!
Go to Google Merchant > License Key. Write it down and click Activate.
The product categories' names in your store may differ from what can be easily found in Google. You should do this step to make categories in your webstore associated with categories in Google.
Go to Google Merchant > Categories. If you already installed Facebook Business and worked with it, you would see here mapped categories (in this case go to the next step). If not, follow this instruction:
1. Click Add new. As you can see the first line is the name of category on your site, the second one is category in Google. Choose the category from your site firstly.
2. To complete Google category properly, use Google Taxonomy list. Google Taxonomy list of categories is the list of categories that is used by Google for all shopping campaigns.
Find your category by search (ctrl+f). Choose the best one for the category on your site. For example, the category of your site is called "Tea", but you mean "tea pots", you can find it like this:
But if the category of your site includes, for example, watches, earrings and necklaces, you can use the category that joins them. So, just choose Apparel & Accessories > Jewelry
3. When all is done it should look like this:
Check your product attributes in the Attributes tab
Google product category attributes indicate the category of your item based on the Google product requirements. Categorizing your products helps ensure that your ad is shown with the right search results. Google has a wide range of product data attributes. There are six of them, crucial to correct feed generation, available in the add-on.
Fields in the Values column (i.e. product attributes used on your website) are populated automatically.
However, you might need to add some values manually if your product attributes come in a language that is different from English (for example, couleur, colore, Farbe, etc.). Click on the pencil icon to edit your product attributes. Use the Reset to defaults button to get back to the original values provided by the add-on.
ATTENTION! Your products must have at least one attribute. Required attributes may vary from category to category, please check Google product feed specification to learn more.
Product feed generation
1. Go to Product feed > Enable the toggle switch > Save.
2. Select a category/categories and currency that will be shown in Google Shopping. Click save.
3. Now you can generate the feed. Wait till it is done.
Labels feature (optional)
Also, you can use 'Labels' feature on order to label your Products according to your special requirements related to more specific Google Ads setup:
Go to 'Labels':
Click add 'New':
Choose 'Category' (if you want to apply your labels to several or all your Categories), or Product (if you want to apply it only to your several Products, even from different Categories). Click 'Save'.
You can also exclude particular Products from your Feed, by clicking 'Show exceptions panel' button:
There is a search bar on the top of this panel. You can search your Products by:
- Product id
- Product title
To exclude a Product, you need just to disable it by clikcing the toggle and generate your Feed again. You can also put the excluded Product back, by enabling it by the same toggle and generateing your Feed once again.
Creating Product feed in Google Merchant Center
1. Go to your Google Merchant account > Products > Create Product Feed.
2. Choose your country and language. Click Continue.
3. Copy and past your site address (without http) write down "_feed". Choose Scheduled fetch and Continue.
4. Write down your site address (without http) and "_file".
For File URL of your site come back to Product feed of your site in the dashboard. Copy URL and past it in Google Merchant Center.
5. Click Create feed. You will see the product feed here:
6. Before clicking Fetch Now, check the following step Shipping & returns.
7. As soon as it is done you can go to All products.
In case, you cannot upload your products (it is still empty), you can return to your dashboard > Settings > Permalinks > Save Changes and try to upload your product data again.
Shipping & returns
To learn more, please check this Ads guide.
To learn how to launch your Google Ads campaign and setup Adwords settings for Google Merchant add-on, please check this guide.
Having troubles with your data feed? Check the list of common issues and how to resolve them here.
You can always order the Setup Service for this add-on here: